Who is Bushel?
Bushel is an independently owned software company and leading provider of software technology solutions for growers, grain buyers, ag retailers, protein producers and food companies. Bushel is headquartered in Fargo, ND.
How many businesses and people are using Bushel’s product and services?
Since launching in 2017, Bushel’s platform has grown rapidly, now powering nearly 2,000 grain facilities across the U.S. and Canada with real-time business information for their producers. Monthly, 60,000 producers utilize Bushel products and services.
Bushel’s platform now reaches 40% of grain origination in the United States, resulting in the largest technology network effect among growers and grain buyers in the U.S. today. Bushel’s collaborative ethos will continue to accelerate adding new participants throughout the value chain, particularly consumer packaged goods (CPGs) and consumer brands, that will benefit from upstream and midstream data insights and help deliver on sustainability promises.
How was Bushel developed?
Bushel first launched in mid-2017. What started as a simple app has evolved into a platform and ecosystem that includes information sharing, business intelligence, commodity trading, business logistics and more. Bushel approaches the grain supply chain from a collaborative perspective. Our agnostic technology enables our customers to do more with the technology investments that they had already made. Bushel has been developing software since 2011.
What is Bushel’s vision?
Bushel’s vision is to connect the grain industry through digital infrastructure.
Why is the grain supply chain digital infrastructure important?
Many of the systems in the grain supply chain are siloed and lack modern digitization. Additionally, there are few data standards within the grain supply chain. This makes it difficult to access and/or share helpful information with producers, grain companies, processors, and CPGs. The products Bushel builds and the service we provide are our love letter to the agriculture industry as we strive to secure our food supply chain. As we remain focused on an agnostic approach, our hope for the future is a platform that connects the industry in a seamless manner.
What products and services does Bushel offer today?
- Bushel Mobile: A subscription-based software powering mobile applications for grain facilities to better communicate with their growers. Bushel Mobile includes an Admin Portal, and both iOS and Android mobile applications.
- Bushel Website: A website building and hosting platform for agribusinesses.
- Bushel Trade: A paperless cash bids and offer management system intuitively designed for grain merchandisers and originators to mitigate risk, reduce slippage, and cut bloated workflows. Able to integrate into Bushel Mobile for grower-submitted offer management.
- Bushel Solutions: Consultants and software engineers specializing in agriculture, logistics, and operational solutions.
- Bushel Integrations: API connections that allow secure, properly-permissioned data across the grain supply chain.
Is there a cost to use Bushel’s products and services?
Bushel’s products are offered through a Software as a Service (SaaS) business model. Pricing scales from single location country grain elevators to multinational agricultural enterprises.
What are Bushel’s technologies?
Bushel integrates into multiple grain accounting systems, trading desks, farm management systems, insurance companies and market feeds to allow different software systems to work with each other.
Who can use Bushel’s products and services?
We create and deliver solutions that benefit members up and down the grain supply chain.
- Grain Merchandisers
- Ag Retailers
- Grain Facilities
- Grain Processors
Where are Bushel’s products and services available?
Bushel’s products and services are currently available in the U.S. and Canada.
How is information used within the Bushel platform?
Bushel abides by our strict Data Policy.
- Data Monetization Policy: Bushel does not sell identifiable customer data. Period. We don’t believe in that. Instead, we’ll monitor, review, and report findings in order to elevate knowledge for the good of the industry and the protection of individual business interests of our customers.
- Data Permission Policy: Bushel allows users to give us permission to share data with other technology providers. No identifiable data is ever shared without appropriate permission.
- Data Aggregation Policy: Bushel may analyze, mine, and share data with customers on an aggregated, anonymous level. The goal of this data sharing is to help our customers gain insights into industry level trends as a form of benchmarking. Again, no identifiable data is ever shared.
Who are the primary investors in this round?
- Lewis & Clark AgriFood
- Continental Grain Company
- Germin8 Ventures
How much money was raised in this round?
Bushel raised $47 million in this Series C round.
What does this mean for current Bushel customers?
Bushel customers will continue to benefit from the growth of Bushel Inc. As part of the Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription, our existing customers have seen numerous improvements to the platform they already use. The announcement of this most recent investment round will propel the work being done on the existing platform, as well as additional products and features that our customers will have the ability to take advantage of. In today’s environment, our customers are using products such as Bushel Mobile, Bushel Website, Bushel Trade, and even tapping into Bushel Solutions. All of these existing offerings will continue to see enhancements and improvements as Bushel grows. In addition, we have plans for new offerings in the payments, data permissioning, and sustainability areas. Existing customers will be able to benefit from our new offerings as they become available.
Are you a reporter who is working on a story or interested in having someone from Bushel speak at an upcoming industry event? Please contact Camille Grade at [email protected].